Lets face it: It’s not easy! If it were, everyone would be in shape. The first step to starting one of the successful fitness programs is setting S.M.A.R.T. goals. Follow these 5 simple steps when you’re setting your fitness goals to get fit, stay focused, and achieve your goals.
- Specific – Set clear specific goals! For example, how much weight do you want to lose? How many points would you like to lower your blood pressure? How many inches would you like to shrink your waist size? What is your desired body fat percentage?
- Measurable – Use the right tools to monitor your progress. A tape measure, a scale, a blood pressure monitor, and a body fat tester all will assist you in measuring your progress. Ok so maybe you don’t have a body fat tester, but anybody can get a tape measure and waist size is the most relevant measurement to your health. You can also take your blood pressure in most pharmacies for free.
- Attainable – Make sure you can dedicate the time and energy that it will take to complete an exercise program and nutrition plan that you can stick with.
- Realistic – Make sure goals are realistic. For example a realistic amount of healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week. So if you’re aiming for 20 lbs in a month, reset your goals to a more realistic amount. This way you’ll be more likely to reach your fitness goal, you won’t be disappointed, and you’ll stay motivated.
- Time-bound – All goals should be time-bound so you can monitor your progress on a regular basis. For example you can do a full assessment every 30 days on the same date of each month so you know exactly what progress your making.
Post by Jason Rodriguez
To start your own Fitness Journey please get in touch with us and we’ll discuss a tailored fitness program that fits you. Take a fitness journey. Your destination will be fitness!